Feb 5, 2011

New Term, New Friends, New Fun

Now that I was back in Newcastle, it was time to make some new friends as most of my SO friends last term had moved onto warmer Grenada.  Last term, Sarah G. created a blog for SGU SO's coming to Newcastle.  Because of her blog, I was able to get in touch with my new friend Julie.  We talked lots and sent multiple emails back and forth to each before she and her fiance' Kevin moved to the UK.  She and Kevin even ended up finding a place to live right down the street from us in Jesmond and I was super excited to meet her and have a friend near to our flat. 

Last week, Julie and I took a trip to the MetroCenter.  It is a massive mall in Gateshead (the city across the river).  We took the metro to Central Station and then a 2.80 pound roundtrip train ride to the MetroCenter. Here's what it looked like as we arrived.
Julie and I walked around the mall for a bit, it really is very overwhelming.  And then we decided that we needed to walk over to the IKEA across the street.  Julie was in need of some things for her flat, and I never have a problem looking at home furnishings. :)  You can see the IKEA to the left of this picture.  To the right is a Toys R Us, Staples, and Costco.  It really does feel a little like the USA.
We spent quite a while walking around IKEA.  We both said we were thankful our men weren't there because we would have had to have been in and out in mere minutes.  Men are never patient while shopping.  I didn't buy much, but I found this cute little pitcher and some fake flowers that I thought would look good in my kitchen.
So cute huh?!
We then went back to the mall to have lunch.  At this point we were starving and we went to my most favorite restaurant in Newcastle so far, Nando's.  It's a chicken place that has different kinds of spicy sauces and the best fries I think I've ever had.  We ate some great Mediterranean salads and fries and talked for probably two hours.
My salad.  Doesn't it look yummy?  Makes me want one right now.


Julie and I at Nando's.
After lunch, we decided it was probably time to head back to Newcastle, so we headed back to the train stop. 


Overall, it was a really fun day, and I am so thankful to have found a new friend.  Julie and I get along really well and I really enjoy her company.  I'm sure there will be many more outtings and adventures in England with my new friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment