Sep 17, 2011

DIY Craft on a "Medical School" Budget

My crafting juices were flowing this week.  Probably because I've been hanging around Kelsey too much. :)  That girl is not only Miss Grenada, she is also the Crafting Queen.  Anyway, I was inspired by a project she did a month or so ago that you can check out HERE on here fabulous crafty blog "Kelsey Inspired."  However, if you don't want to be inspired to head to your nearest Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or the Grenada craft store above the dentist's office (I'm not kidding, it's really abovet the dentist office -TIG), then don't look.  Her ideas ARE inspiring and it's hard not to resist trying out some of her fabulous projects.

I also saw a similar project done on this second fabulously-addicting-could-spend-my-entire-day-looking-at-things site.  Pinterest. I'm sure you've heard of it.  Anyway, after being inspired by both projects, I decided I had to take a crack at it myself.

Supplies Needed:

Cardboard: I used an old cardboard box.  $0.00
Twine:  Got a whole roll at Creative Do It Best Hardware (seriously, what's with that name?) $9.00EC
       Side note:  I may or may not have used the entire roll.  Apparently I'm a little frivolous with my twine usage.
Glue Gun/Gluesticks:  It was super easy to use the glue gun, but I think this could be done by tucking and tying the twin on the back if you don't have a glue gun at your disposal.  $0.00 I brought my glue gun from home so this part cost me nothing at all.
Ribbons/Buttons/Paper Flowers:  Purchased at the craft store in Grenada for under $20.00EC.  However, I over bought the ribbon and buttons because I wasn't sure exactly how I wanted to decorate so it really cost me more like $10.00EC.

Overall, this entire project cost me about $10.00USD.  Pretty cheap huh? 

So...Do you want to see how it turned out?!?!



I love how it turned out.  I wanted to hang it on the front door of our apartment, but I don't think that my landlord would appreciate a nail hole in the front door.  So I found a spot for it above my kitchen table.  However, the wall looked a little bare with only my "S" on it, so I spruced up some of my matte board pictures to match the "S."  Looks pretty good if I do say so myself!

So there ya go!  A craft on a medical school budget. Anybody else been doing any other DIY crafts I should know about?

3 comments:

  1. Great job, Stephanie! I made the letters B A T H for my bathroom and I'm going to be hot glueing them to the wall today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! The twine you bought actually only cost like $4.50! so even cheaper than you thought!
    It looks great hanging on your wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. immm so glad that you are blogging these ideas bc I love them all!!! however I have not time right now while in nursing school so once im done Im gonna go DYI crazy!! Love this!! thanks steph!
    Love Andrea Bonds

    ReplyDelete