Nov 29, 2011

Give Thanks

This post comes a bit late.  Thanksgiving came a bit late.  But hey, we ARE on island time here.  It's to be expected.  This is Grenada.

I have to admit I didn't feel very thankful on Thanksgiving day.  Josh was at school almost all day, I worked out, came home, and did nothing in particular.  I spent most of the day alone and then we had tacos for dinner.  Yes, I said it.  Tacos, on Thanksgiving day.  I don't think I'm going to win the best wife award this year.

I wanted to be at Gramma Catie's house.  I wanted to eat dinner with my family at the "kids table" even though we are all over the age of 20, all the while quoting our favorite movies, and bringing up funny stories from our childhood. 

I wanted to be at Grandma Scurlock's house.  I wanted to play with my beautiful nephews, drink Grandma's special juice, and eat pumpkin rolls to my hearts content.

Are you about sick of my sob story yet?

Don't worry, I got myself out of my funk.  I had yet to feel homesick since we arrived in Grenada six months ago.  I think I'm allowed one day.

Thankfully, I got to attend not one but TWO Thanksgiving feasts.  One on Friday night (though Josh was MIA) hosted by my friend Laura and the other on Sunday evening hosted by our friends the Durhams.

And here is what I realized:

I am thankful that for the second year in a row, I successfully cooked a massive turkey!

That is a 22 pounder my friends.
I am thankful that I have such a wonderful loving husband who works so extremely hard at school and yet still finds the time to do special things for me.  Oh yeah, and helps me lift a huge turkey in and out of the oven too. :)
I am thankful for the extremely supportive "family" of friends that we have here in Grenada. Without the support of these women, I don't think I could have gotten through this last year and a half living out of the country.

I am thankful for this beautiful island of Grenada that Josh and I live on.  And for the special opportunities that God has provided for me here.  I have never felt so connected to a community outside my hometown before and I am so blessed to be so involved with the precious children on this island.
And lastly, I am thankful for all of the family and friends back home in the United States.  Even though we couldn't be with you this Thanksgiving we are so thankful for the love and support you have continued to give us on this journey through medical school.  It hasn't always been easy, but you have been there with us every step of the way.  We love you so much.  

No comments:

Post a Comment