Nov 19, 2011

Fish Friday

Last night, the SO's organized a boat trip up to Fish Friday in Gouyave, a fishing town about 1 hour North of Grand Anse.  Fish Friday is a predominately local event that happens every Friday night on some of the main streets in Gouyave.  It is an open air market where locals set up stands and cook up a large array of seafood.  You can expect to find things like fish cakes, fish kabobs, lobster, lambie, snapper, marlin, and many other sea creatures.  And for the non-fish lover like me, there are french fries, ice cream, cotton candy, and fried bread.  There is usually music being played and if you are looking to do something in Grenada that feels very "local," then Fish Friday is a must. 

We boarded the boat right as the sun was setting and enjoyed an hour long boat ride up the island.  It was the first time I have been on a boat in Grenada and I truly hope it won't be the last. 
Kelsey, Amber, and Me!

Our Social Coordinator and organizer of the event, Laura!
 
Some of the girls: Kelsey, Laura, Laura, Me, Jessie
Once we arrived to Gouyave, we hit the stands looking for some tasty treats.  I even had some fish cakes.  And they were good!
My fish cake sandwich


Um, no thank you.

 After a couple hours of eating and mingling, it was time to head back to the boat.  It was such a fun experience.  I encourage anyone living, or visting Grenada to head up to Fish Friday.  It's definitely a must-do Grenadian experience.
Kelsey and I

An SO group shot.
Unfortunately as you can tell, my poor Josh could not attend.  Finals in two weeks.  However, I do plan to get him up to fish Friday sometime next term.  I know he would just LOVE the lobster!

No comments:

Post a Comment