Oct 20, 2011

Sea Glass Hunting

Josh and I see eye to eye on most things in life.  We have the same religious beliefs, political affiliations, ideas about parenting, morals, etc.  But when it comes to sea glass, we differ.  He thinks it's trash, but I know it's treasure.

What's sea glass you might ask?  Well it's glass that gets tossed and turned around in the salty ocean water and sand.  The sharp edges get tumbled away, and the glass becomes cloudy and smooth creating "sea glass."  Many pieces eventually make their way on shore and can then be picked up by beach combers like myself and others.  The pieces of sea glass can range in color from more common ones like greens, browns, and clear to less common like cobalt and turquoise blue and then to the rarest of rare, red, orange, yellow, and pink.

There is even a National Sea Glass Association that has a competition every year where you can submit pieces of sea glass found.  The best piece receives a $1,000 prize.  If that's not incentive to become a sea glass collector, I don't know what is.  Something worth $1,000 dollars CANNOT be considered trash.

Anyway, there are lots of beaches in Grenada where you can find sea glass.  A couple of weeks ago, a few of the SO's went to Flamingo Bay in Happy Hill (don't you wish you lived somewhere named Happy Hill?) just outside of St. George's.  We went there because we had heard there was some great snorkeling.  There most definitely was.  But we also hit the jackpot of all jackpots of sea glass.  This beach had tons!  We all came home with bags full of it.
Flamingo Bay
When the glass dries, it has a cloudy look to it because of all the salt.
But my friend Kelsey discovered that if you use the tiniest bit of vegetable oil and an old rag, you can get rid of some of the cloudy appearance.  As I worked on polishing my sea glass last night, Josh walked in and said "Are you polishing your trash?"  To which I quickly replied, "It's not trash, it's treasure and it's beautiful!"


Isn't my collection looking pretty?  I especially love the blues, which are a little harder to find.  One of my SO friends found a pink piece last week.  Lucky girl!  I want to put some of it in a jar to use as a display in my home, or perhaps make some jewelry, or create a mosaic?  Who knows.  The sky is the limit!  I'm going to keep hunting for sea glass, maybe I'll win a $1,000 prize.  Because only then will I be able to get Josh to stop calling it trash!

2 comments:

  1. You're not going to find much red, pink and orange because beer bottles are characteristically the color of your fine collection.
    --loving husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could find some sea glass! To bad they rake the beaches here so it makes it really hard to find anything! I'm still going to keep and eye out when I go to the beach...just in case!

    ReplyDelete