Dec 31, 2015

Christmas 2015's A Wrap

Another Christmas come and gone.  So much preparation and work for one special day, but I tell ya, it's worth it.  And it's oh so magical when you have Littles around to enjoy it.  Our Christmas Eve's and Christmas Days have changed a lot in the last couple of years.  No longer do we get all dressed up to gather with extended families and sit around a big table enjoying an overabundance of food.  No longer do we rush around trying to see everyone that we hold dear.  Instead, we say prayers of thankfulness that Dad is home and not working on Christmas Day.   We enjoy the holiday within the confines of our little 1400 square foot home.  We FaceTime with our California families in an attempt to catch glimpses of each other's day and feel love from each other, as much as a tiny iPhone screen can pass along.  And we try with all our might to create positive memories that our children will hold close to their hearts for the rest of their lives.

It is, without a doubt, a challenging time for me.  Josh had to work on Christmas Eve and was not able to make it home until minutes before the girls went to bed.  I attempted to make Ryan a festive breakfast of candy cane pancakes, but I was struggling throughout the day to feel cheery and was so happy that my friend Cami and her daughter Bella were up for coming over mid-day to eat my traditional birthday cake for Jesus, drink some wine, and help keep me from being Mrs. Scrooge.


The girls and I finished Christmas Eve opening our traditional Christmas Eve gift of new pajamas.  I tried my best to get a few good pictures in their matching pi's, but they were sure trying their best to make that impossible!  I mean is it really to much to ask to have ONE picture of both kids looking at the camera, not crying, and not having their finger in their belly button?!?!  Apparently it is.  However, the stockings did get hung and the cookies did get put out for Santa.  We read The Night Before Christmas and the Story of Christmas at least three times each and the kids went to bed.


Santa made his her appearance while the girls slept and it was just in time, because around 11pm, Josh got called back in to work for a liver transplant.  If I hadn't been so tired, I would likely have been in tears.  Liver transplants can take up to 10 hours to complete and we were not sure if he would be back in time for Christmas morning.  I knew I should count my blessings, someone was in surgery on Christmas and I was sad because my husband had to be there.  They definitely had it worse off than me, but it is hard.  Sometimes, being the wife of a physician seems very sacrificial in terms of family time.  This is undoubtedly something I/we just have to get used to as I'm sure it won't be the last time Dr. Dad has to work on Christmas.  I wouldn't have been opposed to pushing back Christmas a day, but I had prepped Ryan the night before and knew I had no option but to follow through with Christmas morning and Santa's appearance.


Thankfully, Josh found someone to relieve him in surgery around 5am.  He made it back in time for Ryan's 6am wake up.  Although, he had been up all night and was extremely exhausted so he slept through most of presents which was understandable but disappointing none the less, mostly for me.  Ryan was so excited about all of her presents that she didn't care that she was showing a sleeping Daddy her presents from Santa.

One of the best parts about this age is that after every present was opened, she wanted to play with it first before moving on to something else.  It made opening gifts take a couple of hours and we were really able to enjoy the morning.  Of course, there was a MASSIVE mess to clean up afterwards.  So the rest of the morning was spent playing and cleaning and playing some more.





Josh had gone back to bed during the playing and cleaning portion of the morning but got up mid-day to eat a big Christmas breakfast and take a family picture in our pjs.  We ended the day with homemade chili and cornbread, much like Grandma Scurlock makes every year at home in California.  It filled our bellies and made us think of all our loved ones at home.
Sure, Christmas looks a lot different these days, but ultimately, it's all about Jesus's birth and because of that, we have many reasons to celebrate.  I hope everyone of our friends and family both near and far enjoyed the day and gave praise to our Lord, the ultimate reason for the season.


1 comment:

  1. These are so lovely Christmas photographs. Your kiddos are really looking adorable in these pictures. It was my son’s 1st Christmas so I made it very special for him. I reserved one of the most beautiful Chicago event venues for this Christmas Eve.

    ReplyDelete